Lightly sweet and oil-free, these chocolate muffins are hiding a healthy green vegetable. Don’t worry, you can’t taste the zucchini, but it does a fantastic job of adding moisture so we can do without any added oil. What’s that? A vegan, refined sugar-free, and oil-free chocolate muffin that tastes great? Yes, it’s true. Miracles do happen!
1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
1-1/4 cups non-dairy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup Sucanat, coconut sugar, or natural cane sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp fine-grain sea salt
1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips
2/3 cups walnuts chopped (optional)
1-1/4 cups lightly packed grated zucchini (about ½ medium zucchini)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with oil.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the ground flaxseed and 3 tbsp. water. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Set aside. It will curdle a bit, but that’s the point – we’re making vegan buttermilk.
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. To the bowl with the milk and vinegar mixture, stir in the flaxseed mixture, the maple syrup and the vanilla. Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts if using and zucchini, being careful not to over mix.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each well three-quarters full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the muffins
Recipe from OhSheGlows cookbook